Part of an old church has been converted into an oasis of luxury, beauty and style – a holiday paradise. Follow the picturesque alley to the entrance of the house, open the door and take in the view over the green landscape. The house is located at the outer rim of the town, and the sense of privacy is tangible. In the perfectly kept garden, a compact swimming pool is surrounded by loungers and several shaded areas, and you can enjoy your meals under the arched patio. The atmosphere is warm, scenic and comfortable, and the rooms share the same impeccable charm. Once outside, a three-minute walk brings you to the central square of Spello, one of the best-preserved medieval towns in Umbria, famous for its cuisine, fine wines and olive oil. The house is ideal for large groups (max 17 guests) and can be rented in combination with Casa Giardino (accessible via the garden – privacy guaranteed), La Casetta (only 20 meters away) and Apartment Limone (only 20 meters away).
The outdoor seating and dining area, its large table and comfortable chairs, are set under ancient vaulted arches. A low retaining wall provides unobstructed views of the countryside beyond, stunning at sunset. The pool is set back and to the side of the villa, where lush green lawns, cool underfoot, provide plenty of room for sunbathing or entertaining. Roses, olive trees and cypress trees make the garden a quiet contemplative oasis.
The history of the house welcomes you under the ancient arches and stonework in the spacious open-plan living and dining room. The living area is cosseting and comfortable with its large cane sofa, bright Moroccan rug and a multi-channel television hidden in an old wall cupboard. The dining table with raw silk-covered chairs seats up to ten people.
A real home-away-from-home requires a well-equipped kitchen, and this is not your basic holiday sink-and-fridge. Everything is supplied, from aprons to a selection of table linens to fine Riedel wine-glasses and a mighty La Cornue cooker. The light and airy style is reminiscent of Sweden and Provence.
Situated at patio level and overlooking the garden, the large master bedroom with king-size bed feels like a private apartment. Shutters can be closed at night for those who like to sleep late but there is nothing like waking up to a gentle morning breeze. The suite is soothing and restful with a marble-lined bathroom, a walk-in closet, a space to hang clothes, and a selection of books and magazines.
Set above the master bedroom with the same dazzling country views, this bedroom has been designed in a less traditional style using the textiles and warm colours of Morocco and India matched with cool limed oak floors and white walls. En-suite bathroom with a large power-shower and plenty of useful storage cupboards.
This charming bedroom is a romantic secluded retreat accessible directly from the garden. It is decorated simply and comfortably: a metal bed from a family home and Designers Guild fabrics in red and green, alongside artworks picked in Marrakesh. The room features a fully fitted shower room. Stepping out of bed and into the garden is a real treat.
From the living room, a broad stone staircase leads to a large mezzanine space with oak floors and vaulted walls and ceiling. One wall retains an original church fresco. The studio was conceived as a place to listen to music or just to relax and read. With a full-size sofa bed and its own bathroom at the foot of the stairs, it can easily be used as a 4th bedroom.
LAYOUT OF THE HOUSE (180 m2)
– Spacious, fully equipped kitchen with dining table (amenities: La Cornue furnace, dishwasher, washing machine, espresso machine, toaster and american coffee maker)
– Large living room with dining table for 10, satellite TV, Bang & Olufsen sound system for parts of the house including the outside patio.
– Master bedroom with king-size bed, satellite TV, air conditioning, antique open fireplace and two large windows overlooking the Umbrian landscape. Collection of books and magazines, walk-in closet and marble bathroom with tub.
– Additional small shower room.
– Scenic open studio/lounge with sleeping couch
– Split-level bedroom (Ethnic Bedroom) with king-size bed (futon mattress), TV, air conditioning and two windows overlooking the Umbrian landscape
– Luxury bathroom with rain shower.
– Third bedroom accessible only via the garden. Queen-size bed, TV, air conditioning and adjoining bathroom with shower. French doors opening onto the garden and its magnificent views.
– Portico, dining table for six and direct access to kitchen and living room.
– Perfectly maintained garden with lovely lawn, wonderful views, comfortable loungers and private swimming pool (3×5 m / 10×16 ft).
– Midweek Cleaning – 2 hours on Wednesday
– Welcome package
– Parking permit
On top of the standard service, we can arrange all sorts of holiday pleasures for you like:
– a private cook in your Villa
– Wine tastings
– Truffle hunt
– Cooking classes in a nearby farmhouse
– Extra maid service
Bang & Olufsen sound system
Wifi in house & garden
Private swimming pool
Guides and maps of the area